Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lunacity: Rod Handle





Thanks for reading my blog.

One side effect of chronic pain is that some nights you  don't sleep.  "Lunacity" is my term for when you find yourself in that place.  The best thing to do is to get up and create something when you can't sleep.  Not sure if there needs to be a full moon, but it can't hurt!
The other night I was in Lunacity.  I don't usually make things for myself, but I recently broke the handle on one of my fishing rods and the pole was just sitting there lonely.  This was a rather inexpensive item in which the pole and the handle were one unit.  If you break the handle, the pole is also broke.  Unless, you fashion a handle and attach the pole to it.  Of course, you have to cut the pole from the broken handle.

Here is the handle almost ready for painting.  In both pictures, the rectangular piece attached in the groove is to hold a reel.  A screw from the other side holds the piece down so the reel is secure.



















I carved a handle out of a piece of red oak.  Fishing rod handles are generally too short for my hand.  So the one I designed was extra long to fit my hand.  I finished it with polyurethane and a blue Sharpie to get the iridescent purple color.  I've tried to preserve it but have had no luck finding something that doesn't result in a pretty, deep sea blue.  I've tested Polyurethane, its water based cousin Polyacrylic, epoxy, lacquer, enamel top-coat, and shellac.  All ruin the purple.  So, I've left the handle without additional finishing.


Here a reel is attached to the handle.  The pole has also been attached to the handle.














Okay, the reel is upside down.  But it shows the underside of the handle.








A close-up view of the end of the handle.  I carved it to be easy to hold.




Is the handle lucky?  I caught two largemouth bass in a couple of hours of very informal fishing interrupted by rain and stormy weather.


Have you ever been to Lunacity?


Hal's email is hal2009@att.net.
Use Contact at either Etsy shop
Call my cell phone, leave a message at 919-656-7166
FACEBOOK
   Timeline: facebook.com/hal.papan
   Email: hal.papan [!at] facebook.com

I blog about wood carving and most anything else at
www.stickstaffcane.blogspot.com

Proud member of the following ETSY teams:
Acorn to Oak
The Wood Carvers of Etsy
Etsy Woodworkers
NCTriangle
It's A Madcap Live
On Fire For Handmade
Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
Inspired by History



















No comments:

Post a Comment