Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Deep Blue Sea. Serendipity Rules.

Thank you for checking out my blog.

In making the deep blue sea for the mermaid cane, my intention was to use a single step using a blue dye. Woodworkers use Rit Dye to stain wood.  It is better than paint because it leaves the grain of the wood visible.  Also, it soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top of it.  A ding to the wood shows less if the color is not removed. 

One problem with using dye is that it doesn't always soak in evenly.  When I used the blue dye on the cane, there were some places that didn't take the stain.  I thought of a solution.  I would put a coat of polyurethane on the cane and then use a blue Sharpie to touch up.  The blue Sharpie is definitely blue. 


Why did it turn the beautiful shade of purple?   Is it a Ph thing?  What chemical reaction turned the color of the blue sharpie to a gorgeous shiny purple?

It is a color I want to use if I do another dragon.  But, it was not the color of the deep blue sea.



For no particular reason, I decided to give the purple a coat of polyurethane.

Amazingly to me, the purple turned a deep sea blue.  You can see the differences in the colors between the two pictures.  The deep sea blue had another interesting quality, it appeared to have depth.  So, when you look at it, it looks very much like you are looking into the deep blue sea.  It looks like the water you see in the Southern Caribbean.

Serendipity Rules.





No comments:

Post a Comment