Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Nittany Lion: Carving is done. Next step is...

Thanks for checking out my blog.

I know I have several things in progress.  But, today I finished the carving part of the Nittany Lion bust.
At the end, there is always lots more sanding than I plan.  This project was no exception. 
 

















The photos show the bust just needing a lot of sanding.

After sanding and finishing with Natural MinWax Stain, I added the blue and white stripes of Penn State.  The blue is a blue stain and the white is a brilliant white acrylic.


I sanded down to a 600 level.  The surface is very smooth.  If you touch your finger on the display over the lion you can feel that it almost feels like stone! 
But seriously, since oak is so hard, the surface gets very smooth.

What is next"  The bust will be mounted on an oak rod attached to a black marble/slate foundation.  I'll tilt it forward a bit so it gives the impression of looking down at you... as in a tasty morsel?

I will put the finished project on my Etsy shop at:
https:\\www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

I plan to have it ready by June 15th for the Maker Faire in Raleigh.

























No comments:

Post a Comment