Friday, July 20, 2012

Custom Canes #7. I'll have an Oak with a Twist

No, it's not a drink. 

Some canes don't have a handle attached to a shaft.  The "Oak with a Twist" was a great find and really didn't take much to create the cane because mother nature did most of the work.

I use found wood.  I don't cut down additional trees for my carving.  A clear cut construction site can provide a years worth of wood to dry (get permission!).  So step one in carving a stick is to wait 9-12 months while the wood dries.  Some sticks will crack and split so it is best to have a small supply in reserve.

The hardest part was to add the leather strap as a handle.  The internet had some useful information about it, and after a couple of practice tries on scrap wood, it was successfull. 

The stick was a bit taller than a cane but shorter than a walking stick.

Stained with Aged Oak
The cane was shipped to Pennsylvania, USA.Oak with a Twist cane  I talked with the customer in Sapphire, NC USA and he asked if I had a cane with a twist.




No comments:

Post a Comment