Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fall 2. Second in the series

Welcome to my blog for
www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.

Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan. Hal's email is hal2009@att.net.

Contact me:
  • Use Contact at either Etsy shop
  • Call my cell phone, leave a message at 919-656-7166
  • FACEBOOK   
         Timeline: facebook.com/hal.papan
         Email: hal.papan@facebook.com

  • * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

    Well the Winter stick is still a work in progress.  Here is a second attempt at Fall.
    It was a tall walking stick made from Sweetgum.  The customer wasn't tall so I shortened it.  Of course, it is always easier to cut a stick shorter rather than longer.  The beard took a bit of doing.  I put a natural stain on first and then, after sanding carefully, put an Aged Oak by MinWax stain on the raised strains. 

    The stick had five coats of gloss polyurethane and a hard finishing wax.   A light sanding with 400-600 grit sandpaper prepares the surface for the next coat.  With 24 hours drying time, it takes about a week to apply the whole finish.  Still, it is wood so it is weather resistant but not waterproof.










    No comments:

    Post a Comment