Sunday, July 29, 2012

Face It. A Work In Progress

Welcome to my blog for
www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is about the process of carving the dragon's face. Clearly, I'm not old enough to have actually seen a real dragon, but I've seen pictures on the internet so it must be true. I showed one page of a sketch for a face yesterday. These photos show the development of the face.  On the far left, you can see the pencil marks redawn on the stick indicating where the mouth, nose, eyes, and horns will go.
On the right, the mouth, nose, and eyes are roughed in.
   v
   v
   v
Rough cuts and pencil drawn features




      >>>>>>











< I roughed in the teeth and eyes. The horns have had a couple of layers removed.



                                                             Getting closer.  The horns and face are sanded.  The eyes have some detail.  The teeth are roughed in but neet detailing for jaw lines.

In a future blog, I'll go into attaching the handle to the shaft.


Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.

Contact me:

  • Hal's email is hal2009@att.net
  • Use Contact at either Etsy shop
  • Call my cell phone, leave a message at 919-656-7166
  • FACEBOOK
    Timeline: facebook.com/hal.papan
    Email: hal.papan@facebook.com



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment