Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sometimes the spirit just jumps out of the wood.

Welcome to my blog for
www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

This blog is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.

Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ.

Do you want a custom walking stick or cane?  Contact me at Etsy or give me a call at 919-656-7166,

Sometimes a face just jumps out of the wood.  Toothy was just such a case for an oak stick.  The knots were placed perfectly of crazy googley eyes and a warty knot-thing on the forehead.   I left some bark on around the eyes to accentuate them.   I turned a split in the wood into the mouth with crazy teeeth.  The carving was light tan colored except for the eye area and the top (hair?). 


 
Toothy
The stick had a motley natural appearance.  I used a dark stain to highlight the different sections.



By the shore along Falls Lake, NC USA.













Hanging out with Maple Max at Falls Lake, NC USA.

  







Toothy was purchased by someone in Pennsylvania, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment