Saturday, August 4, 2012

Angel Walking Stick - Inlay

Welcome to my blog

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.

Please visit www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  
Inlay fascinates me.

I carved a metal silver angel into a simple walking stick.  The Angel stick is a simple statement about life, but that is a different story for a different day. 


Angelology
  • The word "angel" comes from the idea of "one who is sent" or a "messenger." 
  • Angels are spirits sent to affect human life.
  • There are good angels and there are evil angels.
      These and other facts about angels can be found at:
           http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Angelology/Angelology_027.htm
 
I use inlay for finishing many canes. If I attach the handle to the shaft through the top of the handle, there is a hole that must be filled. The simplest way to plug the hole is to have cut the hole the size of a dowel. The dowel can be an exotic wood which will provide accent to the handle. This actually makes the handle look more attractive. An elegant way to cover the hole is to carve a plug from the same stick as the shaft or handle. Using this technique, you can match the color and, usually, grain of the handle so the plug is unassuming. A third technique is to use a stone. You have to plan ahead so that the handle is a bit wider so that you can properly inlay the stone. I like using Tigers Eye or agate with a curved cut to make it look like Cat's Eye.
                     On the handle of my cane.
 

 
 
 
Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.

My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.

Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History

No comments:

Post a Comment