Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Have a Panda Scratch Your Back?


Welcome to my blog

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.

Please visit www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

A custom request from the UK wondered whether or not I could carve a panda backscracher for her boyfriend.  He did not suffer from Doraphobia.
              Note:  by Scarebea...
              Doraphobia- Fear of fur or skins of animals.  There is no such thing as 'panda-phobia'.
              http://www.phobialist.com/



 I worked from photos off the internet.  These work-in-progress (WIP) photos show two early rough stages.  It also shows that I carved the whole back scratcher from a single piece of North Carolina red oak.  The black magic marker on the photo on the right was my guide for fuure carving of a bamboo stick. 

WIP getting closer.  I have the panda sitting on top of the bamboo as on a chair.  The handle simulates bamboo, and I carved bamboo leaves on the back of the handle.


 The finished product.  Oak is "resistant" to carving which is one reason this took about 30 hours to complete plus time for finishes.

 




















Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.
My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.
Contact me for international shipping.
Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History

No comments:

Post a Comment