Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dragon Cane Screwed. Continued from 7/29



Welcome to my blog


At some point, you have to attach the handle to the shaft of the cane.  I usually do this at the last possible time because. well, stuff happens.  One way to attach the pieces is to drill clear through the handle and then put some type of plug over the hole.  This method is relatively quick, but it does leave a mark on the handle.  The first photo show a cane with a brass plug on a mesquite handle.  The colors went together well.  The plug is actually a brass cap on the metal rod that is the backbone of the cane.


The Blue Dragon cane had no plug in the handle.  I didn't want anything to disrupt the oak.  How to attach the pieces?



A 3 inch dowel screw is the answer.  The top of the shaft slips into the handle.  Pilot holes are carefully drilled so that the centers align. The dowel screw holds the pieces together, and I use 3500lb slow cure epoxy to cement the pieces together.












Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.
My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.
Contact me for international shipping.
Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History


No comments:

Post a Comment