Monday, August 13, 2012

Mild Makeover for a Walking Stick Spirit

 

Welcome to my blog

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.
Please visit www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

 Before and After


As I get better at carving spirits, I will give a spirit a "make over."  Here is an example on the stick named, "Why the long face?"

Before





A few things needed to be fixed. 
  • Eyes were OK for a spirit but didn't have eyelids and were too big for sockets.
  • Eyebrows were not clean and too small.
  • Nose was too flat against a too flat face.

After




Here is what I did.
  • Carved eyes into sockets.
  • Added eyelids
  • Carved eyebrows and then had to reshape sockets
  • Fixed foread because fixing the eyebrows gave odd look to the overall look.
The side portrait shows how the nose and cheek bone structure have improved.

I get encouragement from customers, family, and strangers who stop me to ask who made the stick or how much it cost.  Great way to start a conversation.



Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.
My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.
Contact me for international shipping.
Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History



No comments:

Post a Comment