Saturday, August 11, 2012

Update on Snake Walking Stick

Welcome to my blog
It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.
Please visit www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

I had originally posted that I would try to carve a snake based on the Eastern Diamondback.  I discovered I didn't have the correct colors. They have a tricky mix of dark browns and dark creamy yellows. I need to do some more research on that.  However, I did have the colors to do another pit viper, the Copperhead.
 <deleted photo of copperhead>
So far, I have the head and body completed on my walking stick.  The tail and the underside (there are not a lot of photos to get an idea of what to do) need tweeking.  I can probably finish the carving and staining in a few days.  It usually takes a week for the finishes.

Have you ever met a Copperhead? 

My experience involved a mother Copperhead attacking the lawnmower as I pushed it.  Turns out, she was defending a nest by the fence.  Lucky for me, she struck several times at the front wheel rather than my exposed, shorts wearing, ankle.   Copperheads are not known to be aggressive except when threatened.  They are generally not more than 2 feet.  This one was about a foot and a half.  My wife knows how to handle them, and we moved the mother and her brood.  We never saw another Copperhead.




Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.
My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.
Contact me for international shipping.
Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History


No comments:

Post a Comment