Tuesday, August 21, 2012

MESDA. Hooch Box and Re-use

Went to Old Salem in Winston-Salem, NC USA.  We took a tour at the Museum of Early
Southern Decorative Arts.  The tour visited 11 of the more than 30 rooms.  I was most interested
in the woodwork and decorative carving   English, German, and African themes dominated
the designs on the furniture.  Initially, people wanted furniture that was similar to that of their homeland   Eventually, an American style surfaced.  I'd recommend this tour to anyone who wants to get a sense of Art in early southeastern USA

My sticks are made with found wood. That means I don't cut good trees for my sticks. Recycling and reuse are important.  It was also important in early America.  When richer Southerners finished the gin from an imported case, they would recycle it to a beautiful piece of furniture. 

Cellerette made from imported case of gin, probably.



Top View showing square hole for square bottles


No comments:

Post a Comment