Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cane with India Agate Inlay. A Tip for Getting Layed Better.

Welcome to my blog

It is all about carving - tips and techniques, works in progress, completed projects, how to instructions, and future plans.
Please visit www.StickStaffCane.etsy.com and www.youwoodlikethis.etsy.com

While at Old Salem, NC last week, the gunsmith gave me a tip to improve my inlays.  Before putting a piece in a gun stock, for example, he smokes the back of it.  The soot will leave a shadow when placed on the wood.  You can carve the shadow.  Now, I probably won't use a sooty candle or burning a piece of fatwood more than once. (Fatwood is the resiny wood from the heart of an old pine.  When it is cut, the sap pools in the wood at the base or at a branch knot.)  A water based marker will do and it is a lot less messy.
A 32 inch cane made of light pine has a 7 inch handle.  The handle has a cream and brown swirl India Agate inlay.  A Two inch screw reinforcer and epoxy hold the handle to the shaft.



Note that Phaal Nap (Fail Nap) is a pseudonym, nom de plume, and anagram for Hal Papan. I usually write when I can't sleep. Ergo, Fail Nap. Of course, Hal Papan is my nom de couteau (knife name instead of pen name) and anagram for my real name, Alan Happ. I carve under the name Hal Papan.
My Etsy shops accept PayPal and credit cards.
Contact Me:
Proud member of the following Etsy teams:
  • The Wood Carvers of Etsy
  • Etsy Woodworkers
  • NCTriangle
  • It's A Madcap Live
  • On Fire For Handmade
  • Promoting Treasuries With a Cause
  • Inspired by History

No comments:

Post a Comment